Saturday, October 6, 2012

Get Pinked Fools!!!!

Today was the Get Pinked 5k.  I was having MAJOR, MAJOR anxiety about it.  It was my first solo 5k and I was terrified for some reason.  I didn't sleep well at all last night!  I woke up at 3 a.m. and thought "Oh no it's time to get up and I don't want to gooooooo." Then I checked my phone and realized I had 3 more hours of sleeps. WHEW.  Then I just kind of tossed and turned until 6 a.m.  I took my sweet time getting ready (I even put on make up lol). Hubby said:  "Who wears makeup for a race?!?!"  lol  People who are procrastinating do!  I finally forced myself out the door and drove to the race venue.  After I went in and got my packet I felt HEAPS better.  I was proud of myself for showing up. lol.  I pinned my bib on and got back in the car for a bit.


I watched people walking in and out and texted with a friend who majorly calmed my nerves.  (Thank you Roni!!!)  I finally got out of the car and went and lined up.


I'm a few rows back checking my armband lol.  The people in the front were doing a 5 mile run!  They rock!     I think I started a little too fast, so I had to start taking it back a few notches.  My goal was to run 10 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run 10 minutes etc.  In the midst of my first 10 minute running stretch someone honked at me and I looked up to see my hubby and kids parked across the street waving at me.  That was the best feeling EVER!!  I know I smiled so big!  That was probably my favorite part of the race.  I was able to run for 10 minutes and then I started walking and at the 5 minute mark of walking I wasn't ready to run again lol.  I ended up walking for about 10 minutes because the route went up into the hills which were sandy and rocky and I didn't want to twist my ankle.  Once we hit pavement again I ran for another 10 minutes, walked for 5 and then ran the last 8 minutes or so.  I finished with a time of 43 minutes (gotta check the official time when the post it).  As I ran through the finish line a friend of mine I haven't seen in at least a year was standing there and she gave me a big hug!  THAT was awesome! Her husband ran the 5 miler and he won 1st place!!  Anyhow I grabbed a Gatorade and a Cliff bar and sat down to process what had just happened.  


I'm pretty proud of myself!  I wanted to at least finish in 45 minutes so I did that!  I am way  more proud of this 5k than the Dirty Dash because I feel like I really did my best on this one!  I'm contemplating running the Turkey Trot 5k in November!  Woohoo!




2 comments:

  1. Yay for running your first 5K!! I know we just "met" but I'm super excited for you :) Can't wait to follow you in your running journey my blogger friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was super happy to "meet" you the other day!!

    ReplyDelete